Sunday, February 27, 2011

Unless there is reform of New York State government, the joke is on us!

Unless there is reform of New York State government, the joke is on us!


A funny thing happened on the way into a local store this week, I ran into a politician. He handed me a flyer, and said, “I’m Robin Schimminger, and I hope I can count on your vote.”  I took the leaflet, and then walked on.  In the check out line, I read the flyer.  The bullet point that caught my eye was “Reforming State Government.”   On my way, I introduced myself and asked him what he meant by “Reforming State Government” He said, “what do you mean?”

“What do I mean?”  Again pointing to his flyer I asked, “what are your plans for reforming state government?”   I explained to him, the NYS citizens are completely fed up with Albany politicians and the dysfunction of NYS government.  Why are our state budgets always so late?  Why is there no transparency to the budget process?  Why does our state spending exceed the state’s revenues?  How was he going to stop Sheldon Silver’s strangle hold on the government? Again, I asked him how he was going to “Reform State government?”  This was reminiscent of Abbot and Costello’s routine,  “Who's on First?”

He explained to me how he had the endorsements of  business councils and federations of NYS.  Again, I asked him how he was going to “Reform State government?”  He told me,  as an individual he was powerless to fix the problems I had asked him.  His faux smile was now glued on more tightly. And then like a good politician he asked me where I lived.  He realized I  didn’t live in his district and he stuck his hand out, said thank you and walked away.

I didn’t write this to be specifically critical of Mr. Schimminger, but as an incumbent, he is part of the problem.  I would ask the same questions to my NYS Senator Mike Razenhofer or NYS Assembly person Jim Hayes, but his obvious fumbling around the giant elephant in the room is emblematic of the problems in NYS. 

My wife and I are transplants to WNY.  Our family has thrived here.  However, since our arrival we have seen the state’s death spiral increasing its velocity.  Our kids, like many, move away for college, graduate school and permanently relocate.   We’ve watched the population of WNY shrink; not an insignificant concern for 2 pediatric doctors, let alone the future of WNY.  As SUNY@Buffalo faculty, we feel the bite of Albany’s budget tardiness and contraction.  Albany’s failure to pass UB 2020 legislation was pathetic; I understand why President Simpson has decided to “retire.”  Our taxes are too high, our infrastructure is crumbling, and the down state political machine is strangulating WNY’s ability to fix itself.

Clearly Mr. Schimminger and the remainder of his Albany incumbent cronies just “don’t get it.”   His campaign motto, “promises are easy to make, performance takes hard work” is disingenuous.  If there were qualified people to replace all the incumbents, it would be an admirable goal. Our current state legislature environment is polarizing.  Will they be able to “reform state government?”  If significant NYS Government Reform does not happen, the joke will be on us!   Governor Cuomo we need your help; keep your boot to their necks.

No comments:

Post a Comment